Meet The Matildas- Bake Off Edition
Today is Chocolate Cake Day, and what better way to celebrate than to challenge our newly announced Matilda’s to bake a chocolate cake with our current Miss Trunchbull, Craige Els.
Why not make your own chocolate cake using the same recipe as the Matilda’s! Take a look at the recipe below:
For the cake:
225g softened butter
225g soft dark brown sugar
4 large eggs
100g self -raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp cocoa powder
For the icing:
250g softened butter
250g dark chocolate
175g icing sugar
splash of milk
- Preheat the oven to 180°
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Slowly add the eggs 1 at a time
- Sift the flour, cocoa and baking powder in to the bowl and fold into the mixture.
- Grease 2 sandwich tins (approx. 20cm diameter) and line with baking paper
- Divide the mixture evenly between the 2 tins and bake for 20-25 minutes. (Tip: insert a skewer into the cake, if it comes out clean your cake is ready!).
- Leave to cool for approx. 10 minutes and then carefully transfer to a wire cooling rack
- Place the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of simmering water. Stir until melted.
- In a separate bowl, beat the butter and icing sugar with an electric whisk until light and fluffy.
- Fold in the melted chocolate.
Assemble the cake:
- Spread half the icing on 1 of the cakes.
- Place the other cake on top.
- Spread the rest of the icing over the top of the cake
- Go crazy with the decorations!